My First Month On Voxer

For the past month I have been exploring the use of Voxer as a form of professional development. I first heard about Voxer on Twitter and how educators where using it to create smaller groups of professional learning networks. Voxer is described on their website as “…a live messaging application that brings push-to-talk technology to smartphones. Our service features live and recorded voice – if a you push the button to talk, you can be heard on the other end as you speak, but everything is also simultaneously recorded so you and the recipient(s) can play back any message later.” It also has some added features such as text and photo. It is a free service however, if you want to create a group of people you need to have a pro account which costs about $3.00 a month.

In the first month, I have been able to join a few groups including the Instructional Coaches and BFC Lounge. At first, I was nervous to record my voice and just did a lot of listening. I basically “lurked” like I did originally on Twitter, but then I just put myself out there and my experiences have been really positive. I like the fact that on Voxer you can actually hear people talking (i.e. voices, expressions). On Twitter, you need to be careful in how you Tweet as comments can be easily misinterpreted. On Voxer however, you are given more space/time to provide your comments and get more into discussions/debates, as you are not limited to 140 characters. One tip I read on a colleague’s blog of general Voxer etiquette recommends messages no longer than two minutes. On Voxer, I find that you can get into longer and more deeper conversations. I hear the phrase “I am going to push back on your commment…” a lot of Voxer which is the polite way that people are engaging in dialogue. Lastly, I have been finding because the groups are smaller on Voxer you develop some deeper relationships. I know it sounds strange but I feel like some educators have become mentors and friends on Voxer. The community is very supportive and encouraging!

I have not had the opportunity to use Voxer in a classroom but I love how other teachers are sharing its uses such as using it to communicate with other classes around the world. For example, Beverely Ladd shared how used Voxer to work with a class in Australia and students sent messages back and forth to each other. As well, Ashley Hurley shared with me how she uses it to teach reading fluency. Students will record themselves reading and then listen to themselves in order to listen for fluency and then self-reflect on areas for improvement. There are also high school teachers that are using Voxer to provide feedback to their students on their written work as assessment as learning (formative assessment). All of these are wonderful examples of talented educators using the power of the tool in pedagogically innovative ways.

One of the challenges I have experienced on Voxer is time! As someone who is an enthusiastic Twitter user already I now have another form of PD that does require additional time. I find that I am on Twitter less but it does take time to listen and reflect and then respond to your groups on Voxer. I usually listen to my messages on my way to/from work or while doing errands around the house. But for now, I will continue to use Voxer because of all the positive networking, ideas, and inspiration it provides. I encourage you to step outside your comfort zone and give it a try!

If you have been on Voxer I would love to hear your thoughts and how you might be using it in your classroom or as part of your professional development.